Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Green stuff

Spent Labour Weekend at Broadwood, a small isolated area in the north of New Zealand. No broadband, no cell phone coverage, no TV coverage.

The people I was with own a dry stock farm. There has not been much money in dry stock farming so even though they are asset rich (millions) they have no money. Old car, old house, run-down farm, limited food.

But a great life. Work all day outside at ease with the surrounds. Feel like a break then take it. The relationship with the environment is important and I noticed where we tend to fight the environment all the time. Progress in the city is about big alterations to the environment and battles around that. More speed (for everything) is important. We expect to spend our time doing more in less time.

I takes me a day or so to slow down enough to enjoy myself. I always want to check my email, watch TV, or rush off to do something. Is this the right way? Or am I being old and stupid thinking that we can step back and live life slow and more at tune with the environment?

And by the way what is education's role in this?

Maybe sustainability is important ito teach as the way of the future.

No comments: