Thursday, March 22, 2007

Learning and Leadership

Today I am off to a leadership course where I will be presenting my ideas on what I am planning to do about my learning challenge.

The challenge is to do this within the framework of the huge demands of managing a school, building a new school and preparing for an external audit of the school. The challenge of learning in a new way for me is causing concern but not as much as how scary it is to bring this into a school for others.

I read a blog posting from Will Richardson today about his conversations with some graduate students. The full conversation is at on his website but I have edited a little.

"I got the sense that most didn’t want to accept that challenge or felt it was just too daunting. And at another point, after going through a list of reasons why using these ideas were going to be difficult, I said “yes, but you know there is nothing stopping you from changing the way you learn.” Not sure how well that went over, either

I don’t mean to come across as disparaging to any of these students. You could tell they were by and large smart and sincerely interested in the discussion. But I guess I was hoping for more, though I’m also not entirely surprised I didn’t get it.

As much as I want it to be otherwise, the reality here is that we’re just not getting it done on so many levels."

That is somewhat how I feel. Somewhat daunted and the reality on so many levels so far from where it should be.

No comments: